Hey y’all! Hope everyone is having a good start to their week! Things around here have been nice and quiet, just the way I like it.
We’re going way back today, back to the 90’s, while we talk about how to build a room/ Do any of you remember a show on HGTV back then called “The Christopher Lowell Show”? I was hooked on this guy, and several other shows like his, back when HGTV still taught you how to do things. ;) Anywho, the show was a favorite of mine and I always, always, always got great ideas and know how from him. His method of putting a room together involved the seven steps we’re going to discuss today. These steps are timeless and are just as useful now as they were then. He even put a book out of the same title and I still have mine! I actually found this specific episode of his show on YouTube so that you can watch it! Trust me, he’s a hoot and gives fantastic design advice. Here come the 7 layers of design!
Alrighty, I know what you’re thinking now. So those are the seven layers of design. Now how in the world does that help me? Well, let me explain! The purpose of Christopher Lowell’s seven layers is to explain to you HOW to build a room, from top to bottom, in a civilized manner lol Meaning, you won’t go buy a throw pillow, a rug and then have to hurt your brain figuring out what else to buy and why you’re room doesn’t look “put together” or “finished”…. You’ll have that nagging thought that something is missing, and it usually is. One of these layers is missing! Ok so let’s dive in, one layer at a time, and I’ll give you some examples and ideas of how each layer can help you.
- Paint and Architectural Embellishments – Ok the first part is a no brainer, paint. Before anything else happens the walls and trim get painted. Speaking of trim, this is where you add your crown moulding, chair rail, board and batten, etc. If it needs to be nailed to the wall, it goes up now. You may ask me HOW you’re supposed to choose a paint color NOW out of all those pretty paint chips at the store. I covered that in this post. If you’re following along with me in this series, you should have already made a mood board and have 3 paint colors to choose from. Get them up on the wall (buy samples right now) and figure out which one you are drawn to then get to painting! Layer one, complete!
- Installed Flooring — This is another easy one. If you plan to put flooring down, like carpet, hardwood, tile, etc, now is the time to do so. Otherwise, if you have a hard floor, maybe you could paint it. See what your options are then get that beautiful floor laid down. Layer two, complete!
- High Ticket Upholstered Items – Now here, we’re talking sofas, chairs, large ottomans, and side chairs. This is where you want to stay fairly neutral. Neutral doesn’t mean beige either, altho that is a trend these days. Neutral can be any color you’d like it to be! Stay away from prints right now, no florals, checks, stripes, etc. Keep your large upholstered items calm and collected! ;) Layer three, complete!
- Accent Fabric. – Here is where you get to start having some real fun! NOW is the time to pick out pillows, drapes and rugs my friends. This is the good stuff! Any fabrics that you want in the room should be purchased and put in now. Easy peasy, right?! Layer four, complete!
- Non-Upholstered Furniture – I’m talking about end tables, coffee tables, storage cabinets, anything that’s not upholstered and has a surface goes in this layer. Don’t over look storage here because you’ll never regret having more of it! Layer five, complete!
- Accessories – Let the party start right here! If you had fun picking out your pillows and drapes, just imagine how much fun this step will be! Now is the time to put in accessories like jars, photo frames, mirrors, art, doodads, and all the “merchandise” that we have in homes that make it extra special and reflective of our personalities. Layer six, complete!
- Plants & Lighting – On this last step, we focus on the finishing touches to a room, after the accessories are placed. Things like table lamps, candles, sconces and floor lamps are the perfect way to bring ambiance to a room. These items warm up a space and make it feel homey, as do plants. Find some interestingly shaped and textured plants for the “natural” finishing touch for your room! Layer seven, complete!
I hope that you’ve really gotten some great information from today’s post! This list will not only help you save money (you can budget a certain amount for each layer) but will keep you from being completely overwhelmed when you want a new room! Hope you’re enjoying the series!